Location: Embassy of Japan, London
Salary: £28 - 32K, according to qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: 12 July 2019
Interviews: Mid to late July 2019
Start Date: September 2019
The Embassy of Japan seeks a highly qualified person who can perform as an assistant to the Economic Section. You will be required to support Japanese diplomats posted in the UK, as well as working within a team of locally employed staff to support the wider functions of the Embassy.
- Arranging meetings and visits for diplomats and delegations visiting from Japan.
- Keeping diplomats briefed and informed on current economic and political affairs by providing daily news updates, policy summaries and research on relevant economic sectors.
- Monitoring developments within the Japanese and UK business communities.
- Organising functions, such as seminars, in and outside of the Embassy, as well as speech writing and supporting other events hosted by the Embassy.
- Assisting other locally employed staff in the team, including producing daily economic newspaper reports.
- Attending meetings, seminars and conferences and feeding back to the relevant diplomats.
- Degree-level academic background, with English language as a mother tongue or equivalent, both spoken and written.
- Strong cooperation and communication skills.
- Competence in an office environment, including IT skills such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- A keen interest in Japan, and knowledge of Japan-related issues.
- Flexibility, a sense of responsibility, attention to detail, and perseverance to carry out complicated tasks with accuracy.
- Decision making skills and discretion to help build networks with UK government departments and other organisations.
- Fundamental understanding of economics and UK-Japan politics and business.
- Experience of Japan, and Japanese language skills, would also be preferable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a CV (as detailed as possible) and covering letter explaining how you are able to meet the requirements for the position, along with your current salary, daytime
telephone number and email address by 12th July 2019 to email@example.com
*Please note that submitted documents will NOT be returned.
- All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK in accordance with the actual Immigration Act. All applicants must state that this right is obtained through citizenship, permanent residency or work permit in their application. Applicants not providing this information in their application will not be considered for employment. Short-listed applicants will be asked to provide, prior to interview, documentation to certify their legal right to work in the UK.
- The Embassy will draw up a shortlist on the basis of the application documents. Applicants on the shortlist will be invited to an interview and examination (date to be announced).
- The successful applicant shall serve a probation period of six months immediately after the date of the start of the employment. The Embassy may extend the probation period.
- It is the Embassy’s policy that we do not give any kind of feedback of the interviews.
All enquiries regarding this job vacancy must be made by email.
For enquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Embassy of Japan in the UK