The Ship for World Youth (SWY) is a unique, cross-cultural exchange programme funded by the Government of Japan. As a SWY participant, you will have the opportunity to study and discuss shared issues from a global perspective, participating in a variety of activities with young people from 11 different countries to cultivate international and intercultural awareness and leadership.
The programme runs for 7 weeks, starting and ending in Japan, with the majority of time spent on board the ship, and will include an international port of call. Current plans for 2020 are to depart and return to Tokyo, making ports of call in Hawaii and Mexico.
Proposed dates for 2020 are from 10 January 2020 to 24 February 2020.
Participating countries for SWY2020 will be:
Japan, New Zealand, France, Mexico, Egypt, Bahrain, Peru, Kenya, Brazil, United Kingdom, Sri Lanka
How to apply:
Please read through the General outline and Application guidelines documents carefully before submitting your application.
Complete the Application form, CV form and a cover letter, no more than one side of A4, explaining why you should be a member of the UK delegation to the Ship for World Youth 2020 and email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 29 July 2019, 5pm GMT.
Application requirements are:
- You must be of British Nationality and between 18-30 years old as of April 1, 2019.
- You must be able to speak and understand English as this is the common language used throughout the programme.
- You should have active involvement in international exchange or youth activities locally.
- You should possess strong leadership, communication and team work skills.
- You must be able to participate in the whole programme including an induction session scheduled between September - December 2019.
Your application will be reviewed by Japanese Embassy and members of SWYUK Alumni. If successful you will invited for an interview with a selection of embassy officials/previous SWYUK participants. Please note that interviews can be conducted via skype if necessary.
We encourage applicants from all corners of the United Kingdom to apply.
Embassy of Japan