Bringing medicines to Japan


Information for those bringing medicines for personal use into Japan

Decisions on what medications or medical devices may be imported legally into Japan are made by the Japanese Government, and unfortunately the limited information we have available at the Embassy of Japan in the UK does not include comprehensive lists of specific medications or ingredients.

There are no medication experts at the Embassy of Japan in the UK and as such we are unable to provide information pertaining to specific medicines. This information is available only from the Japanese authorities, and subject to change.

There are 2 kinds of approval that might be required in order to take medications into Japan.

1. Narcotics:
You must obtain permission from the relevant Narcotics Control Department in Japan if you wish to take in narcotics, such as codeine and morphine, irrespective of the amount.

For details on applying to import medicines classified as “narcotics” and relevant application forms, and for information regarding “psychotropics”, such as diazepam, please refer to the following link: "Import / Export Narcotics or other controlled substances”

Please also see contact details for the relevant Narcotics Control Departments at the bottom of this page.

2. Yunyu Kakunin sho
For medicines which are NOT narcotics, you must obtain a Yunyu Kakunin sho import certificate if you intend to bring more than 1 month supply.

For information concerning the import of medicines into Japan for personal use, please refer to the relevant web pages of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan.
”Information for those who are bringing medicines for personal use into Japan”

Examples of non-narcotic/psychotropic medicines that can be taken into Japan up to a one month supply without permission include:
- Mild painkillers such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin
- Inhalers containing ventolin, salbutamol, salmeterol
- Statins such as atorvastatin, simvastatin
- Blood pressure tablets such as beta blockers
- Antibiotics
- Vitamin tablets
- Eye drops, contact lenses and solution

If you are unsure about any aspect of importing medicines for personal use into Japan, please contact the office closest to your point of arrival in Japan from the list below.

Contact details for further information and general medicine enquiries (offices are open from Monday to Friday excluding Japanese public holidays):
Place of Arrival Name of Department Contact Information
Hokkaido, Tokyo(Haneda/Narita), Kanagawa(Yokohama), etc  Kanto-Shin’etsu
Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare
TEL: +81-48-740-0800
9:30 -12:00AM, 1:00- 5:00PM(JST)
Osaka (Kansai), Nagoya (Chubu), Kobe, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Okinawa (Naha) Kinki
Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare
 TEL: +81-6-6942-4096
9:30 -12:00AM, 1:00- 5:00PM(JST)

Contact details for narcotics and psychotropic medicines (offices are open from Monday to Friday excluding Japanese public holidays):