Manga Jiman: The Winners’ Exhibition
Weekdays, from 24 May 2021
Free | Prior booking essential
Every year since 2007 the Embassy of Japan’s Manga Jiman competition has sought out the best of comic creating talent from across the UK. 2020 saw a number of changes to the competition, with last-minute dashes to the Embassy to hand in finished work before the deadline replaced with late night emails doing the same. We are now pleased to be able to host a physical exhibition of the winning works. The 2020 edition of the competition asked entrants to reference the theme of ‘technology’ in their entry, and the short stories selected by the judges approached the theme in varied and interesting ways, with artists capitalising on a huge range of narrative and illustrative styles in their work.
Selections of artwork from all that entered the 2020 competition will be on display, and members of the public are encouraged to take part and contribute to our #MJmangawall. It has been traditional that visitors to the exhibition are able to draw directly on the manga wall in the exhibition, and though that isn’t possible this year, you can now take part from the comfort of your own home! Post a sketch and tag it with #MJmangawall on Twitter or Instagram, and we’ll be collecting a selection to show as part of the exhibition whilst it runs.
Visitors to the Embassy are required to book their visit in advance via this system below. In order to control the number of visitors to the exhibition, visits are restricted to one hour.
Please email email@example.com or contact us on social media with any questions.
Guidelines for visitors
- If you are displaying symptoms of Covid-19, we kindly ask you to delay your visit to the Embassy of Japan until it is safe to do so.
- We ask all visitors to ‘check in’ on the official NHS Test and Trace app on arrival.
- Please use the hand sanitizer on arrival.
- Please follow the designated routes in place and maintain a distance of 2m from fellow visitors.
- Whilst inside the Embassy building, visitors are asked to wear face coverings unless they are exempt from doing so.
- Please note that the toilets are not accessible during this period.