Visits to Consular Section by Appointment Only
Appointments can only be booked online
In light of the continued spread of the novel coronavirus Covid-19, and in accordance with UK Government policy, the Consular Section has been operating an appointment-only system. For appointments from 4th January 2021 onwards, an online appointment-booking system will be in operation (starting from 14th December 2020). We thank you in advance for your understanding.
WARNING: Please read the following information carefully before booking an appointment
How to book an appointment
Note: There are separate portals for booking an appointment for an Application or for a Collection.
Step 1: Please read all of the information on the first page of the appointment booking portal, then click ‘Next’.
Step 2: Please check that you are on the correct page for either Application or Collection, depending on the reason for your visit to the Embassy, then click ‘Next’.
Step 3: Please choose a date and time for your visit to the Embassy, then click ‘Next’.
Step 4: Please check the date and time and then click ‘Save’.
Step 5: Your Appointment ID number will be displayed on the screen. Please either print the screen, have it ready to show e.g. on the screen of your smartphone, or take a note of the ID number to provide it when requested by security staff on arrival at the Embassy. Please note that your Appointment ID number will be displayed only once.
Please click below for an appointment at the Visa Window
- When you come to the Embassy, the security staff at the front entrance will ask to see either (1) a printout of the screen showing your Appointment ID number, (2) a screenshot of the display showing your Appointment ID number, or (3) a note of your Appointment ID number. Please note that if you cannot show one of the above, for whatever reason, you will not be permitted to enter the Embassy. Once inside the Embassy, please take a numbered ticket from the machine in the waiting room. If you do not have an appointment, you will not be permitted to enter the Embassy.
- To ensure that we can maintain appropriate social distancing practices, please do not bring anyone with you to the Embassy, unless their presence is necessary for your application etc. If you arrive early for your appointment or have to remain in the waiting room while we are dealing with your application, please keep as far away as possible from any other people in the waiting room. To prevent the possible spread of infection between visitors to the Embassy or via surfaces and objects in the waiting room, please wear a face covering such as a mask, clean your hands using the alcohol gel provided in the waiting room, and bring your own pens etc.
How to cancel / change an appointment
If you cannot attend your appointment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Appointment cancellation request”. In the body of the email, please state whether the appointment was for application or collection, as well as the date and time of the appointment, and your 8-digit appointment ID number. Please note that once an appointment has been cancelled, it cannot be reinstated.
If you wish to change your appointment, please first cancel your original appointment following the procedure above, and then book a new one using the online booking system.
Your privacy and personal information are important to the Embassy of Japan in the UK and we are committed to handling your personal information in a responsible way.
• Third party booking site
The Embassy of Japan in the UK uses a third-party website and software to manage appointment bookings. Your personal information, including your name and contact details, may be collected by the Embassy via the third party website to book your appointment. By proceeding with this booking, you are consenting to the collection of this information by the third-party on behalf of the Embassy for booking purposes.
• Purpose of use
The information acquired through this booking process will be used and stored for booking and visa processing purposes only.
• Information collection
All information submitted by the user while scheduling an appointment online may be stored, transferred and shared by Embassy staff with any of its affiliated agencies, partners and any law enforcement agencies as would be required under law.
• Limitations on use and provision
Except in cases of legal disclosure requests, illegal access, threats and other unlawful act or other special reasons, the information acquired will not be used by the Embassy for any purposes other than booking or visa processing nor will it be provided to any third-party. However, statistical information regarding access to the website or generic information on users' attributes may be made public.
• Measures to ensure security
The Embassy takes every necessary measure to manage acquired information appropriately, including through use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols to prevent the leakage, loss or destruction of acquired information.
• Disclosure of personal information
We will not respond to requests for the disclosure of personal information of booking system users, except in cases of legal disclosure requests.
The Embassy endeavours to secure the personal information collected through the booking website. However, no data protection or security measures are completely secure. Despite all the measures we have put in place, we cannot guarantee the security of your information, particularly in relation to transmissions over the internet. In no event will the Embassy of Japan in the UK be liable for damages of any kind, including without limitation, direct or indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, damages for lost profits, business interruption and loss of programs or information) arising out of the use of or inability to use the Embassy’s website or the online booking website, or any information provided on the website.