Police Certificate


Police Certificates from the Japanese National Police Agency are issued only when requested by certain authorities as required by law. The certificate is designed for certain purposes such as working with children (under 18), sick, disabled or elderly people in the UK, or when required by foreign authorities (e.g. an embassy, immigration agency). Individuals who wish to apply for a Police Certificate other than for the above mentioned reasons are asked to contact the Consular section to confirm the correct application procedure.


Prior to submitting your application, you must obtain a Japanese fingerprint form and then have your fingerprints taken on this form at a police station.

  1. 1. Obtaining a fingerprint form
    The form can be collected from the Consular Section, or you can request for the form to be posted to you, by supplying us with an A4 stamped addressed envelope, with a 1st class LARGE stamp.

  2. 2. Taking your fingerprints at a police station
    You must then arrange to have your fingerprints taken on the fingerprint form at a police station. For details, please contact either the Metropolitan Police (https://www.met.police.uk/rqo/request/fp/af/your-fingerprints/) or your local Police Station directly. An appointment and/or fee may be required.

  3. 3. Application at the Embassy of Japan in the UK
    The application must be submitted by the applicant in person at the Embassy of Japan in the UK. Documents required for the application are as follows:
    • Your valid passport (Passport must be valid for at least 3 months)
    • A completed fingerprint form

Your application will be forwarded to Japan and it will take approximately two months to process. The police certificate certifies whether the applicant has any criminal convictions in Japan and is written in Japanese, English, French, German and Spanish.

In some cases submission of an apostille may be required by the requesting organisation in place of a fully legalized certificate, as facilitated by the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents (Hague Apostille Convention). Please confirm with the organisation requesting a Police Certificate whether you will require this in advance and be sure to inform us of this requirement when you apply.


It will take approximately two months to process. We will contact you when it is ready for collection.

Ways to collect:

  1. A) Collection from the Embassy in person
    We strongly recommend this method as the certificate contains personal and potentially sensitive information. You must bring your valid passport once again for identification purposes.

  2. B) Collection by an authorised person
    If you would like to send someone to collect it for you, let us know the nominated person's identity upon your application. The proxy must bring his/her valid passport.

  3. C) By post
    If you wish to receive the certificate by post, please provide a pre-paid Special Delivery Envelope and a Postal Return Request Form upon application. Please note that the Consular Section will not bear responsibility for any loss, delay or damage that occurs as a result of posting the certificate to you.

Office Hours

09:30 - 16:30  Monday to Friday
(We close on British National Holidays, the year-end and New Year holidays, and some Japanese National Holidays. Please see the list of Embassy Holidays)
An appointment is NOT required.

Certificate Officer, Consular Section, Embassy of Japan in the UK
101-104 Piccadilly
London W1J 7JT
Tel: 020 7465 6565
Fax: 020 7491 9328

People living in Scotland and the North of England(Cumbria, County Durham, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees and Sunderland), should contact the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.


Free of charge.

Important Information

  1. Please use the fingerprint form provided by the Consular Section.
  2. In some cases we may require additional documents, such as a letter from the authority requesting the Police Certificate and a textual extract of the relevant law with Japanese translations.
  3. The National Police Agency in Japan may request that your fingerprints be taken again if they have not been taken to a sufficient standard.