Certified Translation of Japanese Driving Licence

If you wish or need to exchange your Japanese driving licence for a GB driving licence at DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) or DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency), your Japanese licence must be accompanied by an official translation which is available from the Embassy of Japan in the UK. Please contact DVLA or DVA if you have any queries about exchanging your driving licence.


In order to obtain a Certified Translation of a Japanese Driving Licence for the purpose of exchanging a Japanese driving licence for a GB driving licence at DVLA or DVA, you should submit the following documents.

A Certified Translation will be issued in approximately 2 working days.

If you are applying in person:

  1. One completed application form (pdf) *Sample
  2. A valid full Japanese driving licence
  3. Applicant's valid passport

If you are applying by post:

  1. One completed application form (pdf) *Sample
  2. A valid full Japanese driving licence
  3. A photocopy of your valid passport (photo page only)

Collection (in person only) *Please note that we cannot return items by post.

When you collect the certificate, please bring the following:

  1. Applicant's valid passport
  2. Fee: £15.00 (cash only)

If you would like to authorize someone to pick it up, please bring the following documents in addition.

  • a) A photo ID of the authorized person collecting on behalf of the applicant
  • b) An authorization letter signed by the applicant

Please ensure that they are collected as soon as possible. If you have any further queries, please contact us.

Office Hours: 9:30 - 16:30 Monday - Friday (excluding British National Holidays, The Year-end and New Year Holidays.)
An appointment is NOT required.
Address: Consular Section, Embassy of Japan in the UK
101-104 Piccadilly London W1J 7JT
Telephone: 020 7465 6565
Fax: 020 7491 9328

Returning of your Japanese Driving Licence

Your Japanese driving licence may be returned to us from DVLA or DVA after exchange.

If you wish to collect your Japanese licence

When your Japanese driving licence has been returned to us from DVLA or DVA, we will contact you by e-mail.

If you come to collect it in person, please bring your valid passport or GB driving licence.

If you would prefer to receive your licence by post, please send us the following items:

  1. Stamped, self-addressed Special delivery envelope (to avoid loss in the post)
  2. A photocopy of your valid passport (photo page only)
  3. Completed Postal Return Request Form (pdf)

Important Information

  1. The Embassy cannot be held responsible if your Japanese driving licence submitted to DVLA or DVA is not returned to us.
  2. Returned Japanese driving licences will be held at this office until 2 years have elapsed from the expiry date, therefore please be sure to collect your licence as soon as possible. Should you not wish for your licence to be returned, please send a signed letter to that effect to this office and we will dispose of your licence appropriately.
  3. Please note that we will not be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the posting of your driving licence and documents.
  4. Please be advised that fees are subject to review and are liable to change from 1st of April every year.