Certified Translation of Japanese Driving Licence
In light of the continued spread of the novel coronavirus Covid-19, and in accordance with UK Government policy, submission of notifications relating to nationality or to the Japanese Family Register, as well as applications for certificates other than residence certificates, certificates of signature, and police certificates, must in principle be submitted by post. Please check our website for information. The Consular Section is operating an appointment-only system. Aside from police certificates, completed certificates must be collected from the Embassy, so please make an appointment online for collection on or after the date which you were informed of either at the counter or by email.
If you wish or need to exchange your Japanese driving licence for a GB driving licence at DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) or DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency), your Japanese licence must be accompanied by an official translation which is available from the Embassy of Japan in the UK. Please contact DVLA or DVA if you have any queries about exchanging your driving licence.
In order to obtain a Certified Translation of a Japanese Driving Licence for the purpose of exchanging a Japanese driving licence for a GB driving licence at DVLA or DVA, you should submit the following documents.
A Certified Translation will be issued in approximately 4 working days.
If you are applying in person: Currently Unavailable
- One completed application form (pdf) *Sample
- A valid full Japanese driving licence
- Applicant's valid passport
If you are applying by post:
Collection (in person only) *Please note that we cannot return items by post.
When you collect the certificate, please bring the following:
- Applicant's valid passport
- Fee: ￡15.00 (cash only)
If you would like to authorize someone to pick it up, please bring the following documents in addition.
- a) A photo ID of the authorized person collecting on behalf of the applicant
- b) An authorization letter signed by the applicant
Please ensure that they are collected as soon as possible. If you have any further queries, please contact us.
Office Hours (Change in Operating Hours from 6 July 2020): 09:30 to 13:00, 14:00 to 16:30 Monday - Friday (excluding Embassy Holidays)
Visits to the Consular Section are by Appointment Only. Appointments can only be booked online.
Address: Consular Section, Embassy of Japan in the UK
101-104 Piccadilly London W1J 7JT
Tel: 020 7465 6565
Fax: 020 7491 9328
Returning of your Japanese Driving Licence
Your Japanese driving licence may be returned to us from DVLA or DVA after exchange.
If you wish to collect your Japanese licence
When your Japanese driving licence has been returned to us from DVLA or DVA, we will contact you by e-mail.
If you come to collect it in person, please bring your valid passport or GB driving licence. ※Currently Unavailable
If you would prefer to receive your licence by post, please send us the following items:
- Stamped, self-addressed Special delivery envelope (to avoid loss in the post)
- A photocopy of your valid passport (photo page only)
- Completed Postal Return Request Form (pdf)
- The Embassy cannot be held responsible if your Japanese driving licence submitted to DVLA or DVA is not returned to us.
- Returned Japanese driving licences will be held at this office until 2 years have elapsed from the expiry date, therefore please be sure to collect your licence as soon as possible. Should you not wish for your licence to be returned, please send a signed letter to that effect to this office and we will dispose of your licence appropriately.
- Please note that we will not be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the posting of your driving licence and documents.
- Please be advised that fees are subject to review and are liable to change from 1st of April every year.