The application window for the MIRAI Programme is now closed.
Programme OverviewThe Government of Japan launched the MIRAI Programme in 2015. It is a short-term youth exchange scheme set up to invite graduate and undergraduate students to Japan.
The title of the programme, “MIRAI,” means “future” in Japanese and is also an acronym based on the first letters of the following keywords, as indicated: Mutual understanding, Intellectual Relations and Academic exchange Initiative.
This programme is intended to offer an opportunity to (i) promote mutual trust and understanding among the people of Japan and Europe to build a basis for future friendship and cooperation, (ii) promote a global understanding of Japan’s economy, society, history, diverse culture, politics and foreign policy, and (iii) disseminate information on Japan’s attracttions through communication tools including social media. Accordingly, the scheme should help to set in place a solid foundation for the relationship between Japan and these regions in the future.
For more information, please visit here.
The application is now open and the application guidelines can be found here. However, please note that there are additional document required for the students based in the UK. Please refer to the “Application Procedure for Candidates from the UK” section for the necessary documents.
Requirements for candidates from the UKApplicants should meet the entire criteria as follows.
The applicant must understand the aims of “MIRAI” and are expected to disseminate information on Japan’s attractions through various communication tools including social media and/or their publications after the online pre-exchange programme, during their stay in Japan and after returning to home countries. Publication results should be shared with the Embassy.
The applicant must have a nationality of one of the following countries and not have Japanese nationality.
- [EU] Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden
- [West Balkans] Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia
- [Others] Belarus, Iceland, Moldova, Norway, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom
- [Central Asia] Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- [Caucasus] Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia
Those who have an experience of residing in Japan for more than 6 months are not eligible.
Those who have participated in “MIRAI” and/or similar programmes funded by the Japanese government are not eligible.
The applicant must have good health conditions.
- The applicant is healthy physically and mentally.
- If the applicant’s body temperature is 37.5℃ (99.5°F) or higher on the day of departure, he/she cannot depart for Japan and is not eligible to participate the programme in Japan.
- The applicant should be physically capable of keeping up with a busy programme schedule requiring extensive walking each day.
The applicant must have a satisfactory command of English to discuss relevant topics with fellow participants.
The applicant must have good academic marks, such as, within the top 20%.
Programme DetailsThe programme will consist of an online pre-exchange programme and a programme in Japan. All participants are required to attend the online pre-exchange programme in the UK before they leave for Japan. For the programme in Japan, candidates from the UK can apply for Politics and Security, Economy and Business, or Science and Technology. More details of the programme can be found here.
(1) Online pre-exchange programme
Two online seminars taking place on two separate days. Both scheduled for April 2021.
The online pre-exchange programme may cover the following.
- Orientation including guidance on how to share their learning and finding about Japan by utilizing social media such as Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Lecture on the theme-related contents.
- Virtual exchange and discussion with Japanese students / experts.
(2) Programme in Japan
(i) Politics & Security
Period: 11-19 May 2021
(ii) Economy & Business
Period: 18-26 May 2021
(iii) Science & Technology
Period: 25 May-2 June 2021
The programme may contain the following and a model itinerary can be found here.
- Attending lectures on the theme-related contents and discussions with Japanese students at one of the most prestigious universities in Japan.
- Visiting educational sites and institutions, high-tech and traditional industries and cultural succession sites; and having discussions with experts.
- Visiting to local areas which offers a courtesy visit to the local government, guided tour of the local featured industry, traditional culture experience and exchange with local people.
- Workshop and reporting session.
There are mandatory assignments for all participants that can be found here.
* Due to COVID-19 circumstances or unforeseen events, the programme may be suspended or the implementation period/format may be changed.
Application Procedure for Candidates from the UKApplication deadline: 14 February 2021
Candidates must fill out the online Application Form and upload the required documents here.
For the third part of the “Essay” section in “Step 4”, you do not need to answer any additional questions. Please leave the box blank.
For the additional documents in the “Uploads” section in “Step 4”, please submit a personal statement/motivation letter indicating how your experience and skills make you the perfect candidate for this programme. The content should be different to the answers you gave in the “Essay” section.
There is a selection process overseen by the Embassy. Applicants are not guaranteed a place on the programme. Applications received after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
For enquiries from students based in the UK, please contact the Embassy of Japan in the UK by email at: email@example.com.
* The Embassy is unable to seek permission from your university for you to miss lectures that you would be expected to attend during the visit. If necessary, please discuss the matter with your university before applying.