The application window for the MIRAI Programme: November, December 2019/March 2020 is now open.
The Government of Japan launched the MIRAI Programme in 2015. It is a short-term youth exchange scheme set up to invite graduate and undergraduate students to Japan.
The title of the programme, “MIRAI,” means “future” in Japanese and is also an acronym based on the first letters of the following keywords, as indicated: Mutual understanding, Intellectual Relations and Academic exchange Initiative.
This programme is intended to offer an opportunity to (i) promote mutual trust and understanding among the people of Japan and Europe to build a basis for future friendship and cooperation, (ii) promote a global understanding of Japan’s economy, society, history, diverse culture, politics and foreign policy, and (iii) disseminate information on Japan’s attracttions through communication tools including social media. Accordingly, the scheme should help to set in place a solid foundation for the relationship between Japan and these regions in the future.
The current programme outline can be found here. However, please note that there are additional documents required for the students based in the UK. Please refer to the“Application procedure”section for the necessary documents.
Requirements for candidates from the UK
- understand the aims of this programme and commit to sharing and disseminating their experiences and the attraction of Japan through communication devices including Social Media and/or their writing for publication after returning to their countries
- not have experience of residing in Japan for more than six months (candidates who have never been to Japan will have an advantage)
- not have been accepted Japanese government sponsored scholastic exchange programmes before, including the MIRAI programme and/or other similar programmes
- be nationals of the countries below and do not have Japanese nationality
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan
- answer the questionnaires which will be conducted at the end of the program and three months later
- be in good health
- be enrolled at universities/graduate schools located in the UK
- be over 20 years old at the time of the visit
- have a satisfactory command of the English language in order to discuss relevant topics with fellow participants at the ministries and universities
Current Programme Details
(1) Politics & Security
Period: 27 November-4 December 2019
Your flight will leave London on 26 November and will return to London on 4 December.
Application deadline: 5 October 2019
(2) Economics & Business
Period: 11-19 December 2019
Your flight will leave London on 10 December and will return to London on 19 December.
This term will include a two nights’ homestay in a local city.
Application deadline: 15 October 2019
(3) Science & Technology
Period: 4-11 March 2020
Your flight will leave London on 3 March and will return to London on 11 March.
Application deadline: 20 January 2020
Participants will attend lectures on Japan and its major policies and exchange views with Japanese students. They will also travel to local areas and learn about local industries and traditional culture, then in Tokyo they will have sessions to report the outcome of the visit.
There is a selection process overseen by the Japanese Embassy. Applicants are not guaranteed a place on the programme. Applications received after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
Candidates must follow the below procedure for application;
- Fill out the online application form and submit.
- Submit the below documents to: email@example.com. Please mention “MIRAI 2019 (your name)” in the subject line.
- Copy of passport
- Motivation letter (minimum one A4 page, maximum two A4 page. This is in addition to the “Essay – Personal Statement” in the online application form.)
- Scan of certified copy of your latest academic grades
If you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The Embassy is unable to seek permission from your university for you to miss lectures that you would be expected to attend during the visit. If necessary, please discuss the matter with your university before applying. We look forward to receiving the applications of those students interested in this programme.
Past Programme Information (for reference)
MIRAI Program Alumni Personal Experiences