We would like to invite students based in the UK to take part in a short-term youth exchange scheme planned for this October and December. The title of the programme, “MIRAI,” means “future” in Japanese and is also an acronym based on the first letters of the following keywords, as indicated: Mutual understanding, Intellectual Relations and Academic exchange Initiative.
If you are interested in joining the programme, please refer to the details and how to apply as outlined below. The deadline dates for applications are: (1)10 August 2017 for October visit (2)13 October for December visit
1. Programme Overview
The Government of Japan launched the MIRAI Programme in 2015. It is a short-term youth exchange scheme set up to invite to Japan graduate and undergraduate students from Europe, Russia, Central Asia and the Caucasus who are studying politics, law, history, international politics, economics, international relations, public policy, area studies (Asian Studies, Japan Studies, etc) or subjects in related fields with regard to Asia or Japan.
This programme is intended to offer an opportunity to (i) promote mutual understanding, (ii) enhance intellectual exchange, and (iii) build a strong network among future leaders of Japan, Europe, Russia, Central Asia and the Caucasus. Accordingly, the scheme should help to set in place a solid foundation for the relationship between Japan and these regions in the future.
2. Requirements for Candidates from the UK
- be either postgraduate or undergraduate students who are nationals of any of the countries below and do not have Japanese nationality;[Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan]
- be over 20 years old and in good health at the time of the visit;
- possess a passport valid for the time of the visit;
- be reading politics, law, history, international politics, economics, international relations, public policy, area studies (Asian Studies, Japan Studies, etc) or subjects in related fields, and be eager to assume positions of leadership in their own countries or international organisations in the future;
- understand and agree with the aims of this programme; and
- be willing to share their experiences and knowledge of Japan during and after the programme through social networking services at least once, and ready to report their experience via SNS or other means after returning to the UK.
3. Programme Outline
(1) 4-11 October 2017 (Your flight will leave London on 3 October and will return to London on 11 October.)
(2) 6-13 December 2017 (Your flight will leave London on 5 December and will return to London on 13 December.)
Participants will visit Japanese universities, attending lectures and exchanging views with Japanese students. They will also travel to a provincial area and learn about Japanese history and culture, then in Tokyo they will attend a seminar at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and will have opportunities to exchange views with Japanese experts.
Details of past programmes are available here.
4. Application procedure
(1) Submission of application form and documents
Please send the application form and related documents from your university email address to the Embassy of Japan in the UK, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form (should be typed) (download here)
- Personal statement form (should be typed) (download here)
- Photocopy of your passport
- Photocopy of certification of your latest academic grade
- Photocopy of your university ID/ confirmation letter of enrolment
If you have any enquiries regarding the programme, please contact the Embassy via the above email address.
(2) Online application for December visit is now open.
If you prefer to apply online, please click here.
Please choose "Embassy of Japan in United Kingdom" for "Contact Embassy" section.
(3) Selection process
There is a selection process overseen by the Japanese Embassy, so applicants are not guaranteed places on the programme.
The Embassy is unable to seek permission from your university for you to miss lectures that you would be expected to attend during the visit. If necessary, please discuss the matter with your university before applying.
The key dates are:
- October visit:
25 August: announcement of successful candidates
- December visit:
30 October: announcement of successful candidates
Here are some comments from participants of previous programmes about their experience:
“I’ve made such close friends on this trip, learnt so much about Japanese culture, improved my Japanese language skills, and even had new thoughts about my future plans.”
“My favourite part of the visit was the interaction with Japanese students. It was great to exchange ideas and discuss current affairs with them, as well as learn more about Japanese culture and society.”
“Having the opportunity to experience real Japanese life and culture was extremely valuable and not something many people get to see.”
We look forward to receiving the applications of those students interested in this programme.