Online application service for Passports, Certificates and Visas


As of 27 March 2023, the online service for Passports, Certificates and Visas is now available. Please click on the link below to find out how to apply online for the procedure you require.

Who can use these services

Passports and Certificates: for those who have already registered their residence in the UK via the Overseas Residential Registration service (ORRNet) (for Japanese nationals only). If you have not yet registered, please do so via ORRNet.

Even if you have already submitted a residence registration on paper to the Embassy of Japan in the UK, you will not be able to use the online application service for passports etc. if you have not also registered online via ORRNet. Please email us if you have questions about this:

Passports (Japanese language only)
Renewal, extension, and change of name, place of residence, etc.

Certificates (Japanese language only)
Proof of residence, partial proof such as certified extract of driving licence, etc.

Visas: for non-British nationals who plan to stay in Japan for less than 90 days for tourism purposes and who are legally resident in the UK (i.e. in possession of a UK residence permit), a British Overseas Territory or a Crown Dependency. (Note: British Citizen passport holders do not need to apply for a visa to stay in Japan for up to 90 days for tourism purposes due to the Visa Exemption Arrangement.)
Visas (English language only)