A short-term youth exchange scheme organised by the Government of Japan
We would like to invite students based in the UK to take part in a short-term youth exchange scheme planned from November 2018 to January 2019. The title of the programme, “MIRAI,” means “future” in Japanese and is also an acronym based on the first letters of the following keywords, as indicated: Mutual understanding, Intellectual Relations and Academic exchange Initiative. If you are interested in joining the programme, please refer to the details and application procedure as outlined below.
The deadline dates for applications are:
(1) 1st Group: 7 September 2018 for November visit
(2) 2nd Group: 12 October for December visit
(3) 3rd Group: 22 November for January visit
1. Programme objectives
This programme is intended to offer an opportunity to (i) promote mutual trust and understanding among the people of Japan and Europe to build a basis for future friendship and cooperation, (ii) promote a global understanding of Japan’s economy, society, history, diverse culture, politics and foreign policy, and (iii) disseminate information on Japan’s attracttions through communication tools including social media. Accordingly, the scheme should help to set in place a solid foundation for the relationship between Japan and these regions in the future.
2. Requirements for candidates from the UK
- understand the aims of this programme and be capable of disseminating information on positive characteristics of Japan through communication tools such as social media and/or submitting their writing for publication during their stay in Japan and after returning to Europe
- not have experience of residing in Japan for more than 6 months
- not have participated in the MIRAI programme and/or other similar programmes funded by the Japanese government
- be nationals of any of the countries below and not have Japanese nationality
Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan
- be in good health
- be enrolled at universities/graduate schools located in the countries below
Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
- be over 20 years old at the time of the visit
- have a satisfactory command of the English language in order to discuss relevant topics with fellow participants at the ministries and universities
3. Programme outline
(1) Group 1: 7-14 November 2018
Your flight will leave London on 6 November and will return to London on 14 November.
Theme: Politics and Security
(2) Group 2: 5-14 December 2018
Your flight will leave London on 4 December and will return to London on 14 December.
Theme: Economy and Business
(3) Group 3: 23-30 January 2018
Your flight will leave London on 22 January and will return to London on 30 January.
Theme: Science and Technology
Participants will attend lectures on Japan and its major policies and exchange views with Japanese students. They will also travel to local areas and learn about local industries and traditional culture, then in Tokyo they will have sessions to report the outcome of the visit.
Details of past programmes are available here.
4. Application procedure
(1) Submission of application form and documents
Group 1: https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/NG8PJN5
Group 2: https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/NGJCQGB
Group 3: https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/NGXF7YP
(2) Selection process
There is a selection process overseen by the Japanese Embassy. Applicants are not guaranteed a place on the programme.
The Embassy is unable to seek permission from your university for you to miss lectures that you would be expected to attend during the visit. If necessary, please discuss the matter with your university before applying.
The key dates are:
- Group 1 visit:
7 September: deadline for applications
- Group 2 visit:
12 October: deadline for applications
- Group 3 visit:
22 November: deadline for applications
We look forward to receiving the applications of those students interested in this programme.