Visa: Work or Long-Term Stay Visa



To work in Japan, you must apply for the appropriate visa. For detailed information, please click here. Applicants for working visas are required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility with their application.


Members of rock bands or similar groups, including non-performing members accompanying the group (e.g. tour managers, sound technicians, etc.), must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a visa. Classical musicians, members of symphony orchestras, theatre groups, opera singers, or professional sportsmen or women who have been invited to Japan either to perform publicly for remuneration or to participate in a competition may apply for visas with alternative documents in place of a Certificate of Eligibility. Please contact the visa officer prior to applying for further information.

Other Information

Within 14 days of moving into an address in Japan, Working and Long-term stay Visa holders (with the exception of 15 day and 3 month visa holders) must apply for Resident Registration with the local authority where they reside. (further details).